Rita’s blog for lovers of real food
Easter chocolate treats made with love
31st March 2012
It’s nearly Easter – there’s still time to make some delicious chocolate and nut treats to give to your friends. Home made edible gifts, using good quality ingredients and made with love, are always appreciated – friends who received them for Christmas were clamouring for the recipe. These melt-in- the mouth treats are seriously moreish, so make extra for yourself.
You can vary the recipe by using a different selection of nuts – walnuts and pecans would work well. You’ll need a food processor.
Ingredients: (makes 10 bite size balls) Double or triple the quantities to make a big batch
|choc and nut Easter treats|
50gr unsalted cashew nuts
50gr unsalted almonds
50 gr dark chocolate (70% cocoa minimum)
50gr pitted dates
1 dessertspoon tahini (sesame seed paste)
1/2 teaspoon mixed spice or cinnamon
1 tablespoon of cocoa powder (optional)
What to do:
1. Grind the nuts in a food processor and add the spice. Transfer to a bowl and put to one side
2. Melt the chocolate and tahini together in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water Do not allow any water to transfer to the chocolate mixture. Stir until the chocolate has dissolved
3. Whiz the dates in the food processor. Add the chocolate/tahini mixture to the dates and whiz again
4. Add the ground nuts to the date and chocolate paste and mix together well
5. Form the nutty chocolate paste into 10 balls with your hands and place in the fridge on a plate for a few hours to allow them to set
6. Dust with cocoa powder for a special finishing touch.
Keep in a tin or covered dish in the fridge for up to 5 days or freeze for up to a month.
To give as presents, put half a dozen or more of the nibbles into small paper cases and place in a gift bag tied at the neck with brightly coloured raffia or gift ribbon.
30th January 2018
19th January 2018
19th January 2018
18th January 2018
22nd December 2017